Working with family can sound intriguing. You can not think of a better venue than to be around family members while helping to make their business a success. Before you think about joining the ranks of your family business, read these 10 reasons why you shouldn’t work with your family.
1. When working for a employer that you are unrelated to, there are certain business etiquette’s that are usually followed. When working for a family member, those all go out the window. Voices raised and finger pointing boundaries do not exist. You are a prime target for a sounding board when things are not going right.
Strangers that work along side you are protected against experiencing inappropriate treatment from their employer. The laws protect you too, but this fine line is crossed more often when the family member is involved.
2. No matter who you are in the family line up, there has been a family dynamic between you and your other family members. No matter how old you have become, that family dynamic will carry over into the work place if you work for relatives. You never start with a clean slate like you would when you work for strangers. You position in the family business comes with baggage and whether it be good or bad, this family baggage will effect the treatment you receive.
3. Be prepared to see the people you have known and loved for many years in a different light. You might not like what you see or hear. If you treasure your relationships with your family members do not tempt fate. Experiencing another side of these people can really rain on your parade. You might not like what you see.
4. No matter how upset you get with a family member you will always protect them. If someone outside of the family speaks ill of them , you will get your gander up. It is a kind of inbred family defense system. You can say things about your family and there is no problem, but there will be a problem if an outsider has unkind words. Be prepared to hear these unkind words about your family members if you start working for a family business. Unless your family is sainted, this is bound to happen.
5. Job performance evaluating is impossible when you work for family. The truth will never be told about how good a job you might be doing. For some reason more is expected of a relative when working for family. You can burn the midnight oil and be the first one to arrive in the morning and appreciation for this will be at a minimum. It is almost as if it is expected of you.
6. No mind of your own. When working for a family business their ideals and values need to be portrayed as your own when around the other employees. No matter how much you disagree with things they may do, you need to keep up the front that you are going along with it all. Working for a family owned business requires that you think as a mob mentality and that mode of thinking is always decided by the consensus of a few higher ranking family members in the business .
7. When you are working for a family business there is a phenomenon that happens. When working in the lower rankings of the business, you cannot affiliate yourself with your peers. Most workers have some complaints, gripes about working conditions, or disagreements with the pay at any place of employment. Even though your side by side with these workers daily, you cannot socialize with them as other new employees would. They look at you as the enemy and you will never really be included in any type of peer bonding activities. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
8. While working for a family business any accomplishment that you make in the business aspect of the company will never truly be yours in the eyes of others. People will always think that a pay raise or a pat on the back is due to your blood line only. On future resumes these accomplishments won’t hold much water if it is known that you did this in the confines of your family owned work place.
9. When working for a family business you have no private life. If having a separate life outside of your home life appeals to you, like it does for most adults, then do not work for family. Everyone knows your business. There is no getting away from it. No sanctuary to go to where the people don’t know that you have been divorced or that you flunked out of college twice before getting a degree. No putting anything behind you. You can not re-invent yourself when relatives are all around you.
10. If you ever want to leave the family business there will most likely be hard feelings on the side of your family or by you. You might need to leave because you are feed up with the reasons mentioned in 1-9 and you exit on a note of animosity. Your family might harbor some resentment when you leave.
Any way you look at it the only way that you can avoid all these problems when working at a family business is not to work at one in the first place.
Tags:10 Reasons Why You Should Never Work for Your Family