Associated Content Contributors were once again instrumental in providing compelling election content from all corners of the country. In this midterm, AC also teamed up with Yahoo! News to supply their readers with great stories — from detailed race previews to authentic first-person experiences to persuasive opinions.
Here is a sampling of some recent coverage provided by AC writers. More will be published on Tuesday and throughout the week.
2010 election guide
In a joint effort between AC and Yahoo! News, the work of 10 Contributors was packaged together on the Yahoo! 2010 election site. These writers produced incredibly detailed and useful election guides on 123 election races across the nation. The authors include Carol Bengle Gilbert, Sylvia Cochran, Brad Sylvester, Steven Bryan, Christopher Berenger, Vanessa Evans, Mike Thompson, Mark Whittington, Robert Dougherty and Pam Gaulin.
The clickable map here showcases more of their work.
Local politics and government stories
Contributors also covered local government, election and politics stories throughout the fall. Former U.S. House Speaker Tip O’Neill said famously: “All politics is local.” Contributors proved that local does matter by penning hundreds of pieces on the local level. Some recent highlights:
* Sarah Palin’s influence on Georgia politics
* Meehan and Lentz contest vacant U.S. House seat in Philadelphia
* Proposition J Will Drive Tourists, Jobs out of San Francisco
* New Voting Machines May Complicate New York Election
Opinions and endorsements
On the eve of Tuesday’s election, dozens of Featured Contributors wrote short last-minute endorsements of the candidates and issues important to them. Pieces included “yeas” and “nays” on California’s controversial Proposition 19 pot initiative. Other efforts focused on the candidates, including these contributions on the governor’s race in Texas, the Senate contest in Alaska and a variety of congressional matchups — Illinois, Ohio, Virginia and more.
Many more opinions and endorsements can be found on the AC page on Yahoo! News.
Featured Contributors also polled their fellow residents on the state of the midterms. These quote roundups provided a glimpse into the minds of voters just days before the election. Here are a few examples:
* New Jersey voters fed up with debt
* Indiana voters mixed on Obama
* Calif. voters on pot, Brown vs. Whitman, Boxer
* Do negative ads affect West Virginia voters?
* Stewart, Colbert fans attend ‘sanity’ rally to support comedians’ message
Many more quote roundups are on the AC page on Yahoo! News.
The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear
And don’t forget the comedy. Saturday’s “Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear” on the National Mall provided levity for the hundreds of thousands in attendance, including some Contributors who wrote first-person experience, talked to voters and took in the crowd:
* Best quotes from the ‘Rally to Restore Sanity’
* Some ‘Sanity’ rally signs were funnier than Stewart and Colbert
* Rally to Restore Sanity: It was fun, silly and lackadaisical — but with little purpose
* Washington D.C. braces for comedy impact with ‘Rally to Restore Sanity’
* The story at ‘Rally to Restore Sanity’ was in its signs
* ‘Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear’ best lines and quotes
* Early attendance estimates from ‘Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear’ vary
Tags:2010 AC Election Content